Thursday, August 04, 2005

Paris' Urban Graffiti

If you have ever been to Paris and walked around any of the 'regular' neighborhoods you might have come across some amazing graffiti. The graffiti in Paris is different than the graffiti you might see in a US city...In Paris the graffiti is made up of detailed stenciling and sometimes political commentary. Take a look at Paris Pochoirs - Au rendez-vous des pochoirtistes and see what I mean. It is in French, but you should be able to figure it all out by clicking on different headings. Also check out Roswitha Guillemin's journals of Paris graffiti.

*update* After further exploration of this topic...I have found that there is indeed traditional graffiti in Paris as shown on FatCap Graffiti. Check it out!! So the graffiti mentioned above is called pochoir...if anyone knows any other sites to check out...drop me a comment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello

Thank you for your lovely message about my journal on my website !
I enjoy walking in paris and look at all these creations on the walls !!! stencils (pochoirs) graffitis and so on !!!
Have a good time

friendly yours

Roswitha

Gabrielle said...

Cool info. There's quite a bit of Miss.Tic stuff in my neighborhood (around Rue Lepic) and while at first I liked it, now I'm thinking she needs to try something else. Don't know why, but it's boring me--though I always get a laugh out of whoever it is who runs around town painting those fat yellow cats, mainly because he gets onto roofs and paints a lot of chimney stacks, so you see them in the most unexpected places.